Tools and Materials Needed
- 107 SC1000 Faceplate Assembly (spare) for the TLC Meter (#107719)
- Phillips or Robertson Screwdriver
- Soldering Wire and Iron
- Small Flat Screwdriver
- Socket Screwdriver (or 10-32 Hex Key)
- External C-Ring Pliers
- Any Available Plastic Adhesive/Sealant (e.g. silicone)
TLC Faceplate Assembly (#107719)
- Place the reel on a flat workbench with the faceplate up. Make sure the TLC Meter is turned off. Remove the battery.
- Undo the three screws from the faceplate, and slowly remove it from the reel.
Back of the Model 107 TLC Meter Faceplate
- Disconnect the white Molex connector inside the reel hub.
- Cut the cable tie that is wrapped around the wires in the reel hub.
- Using the soldering iron, unsolder the wires from the connections on the battery tray and Sonalert.
- Pull to remove the Sonalert from the faceplate, noting the position of the positive and negative pins (negative pin beside the battery tray).
Removing the Sonalert will require a small amount of force, as the Sonalert is attached to the faceplate with sealant.
Unsolder the Wire Connections and Note the Pin Positions
- Undo the two screws holding the battery compartment and remove it from the faceplate.
- Push the two pins (on black and yellow wires) out of the Molex connector.
- Using the socket screwdriver, unscrew the #10-32 screw and washer from the display retainer.
- Using the external C-ring pliers, remove the washer and retaining ring from the display retainer.
- Push the display assembly and attached wires through the front of the faceplate.
- From the front of the new faceplate assembly, feed the wires of the display assembly through the opening in the display retainer. Position the display assembly in the display retainer until the base of the display assembly (rotating part of the assembly) becomes flush with the front of the new faceplate.
- Refasten the #10-32 screw and washer to the display retainer.
- Position and refasten the washer and retaining ring using the external ‘C’ ring pliers.
- Insert the battery tray into the opening in the new faceplate (ensure it is facing the right way). Secure it to the faceplate using the two screws.
- Apply a thin layer of plastic adhesive to the flat end of Sonalert. Avoid getting any adhesive in the hole.
- Line up the hole in the Sonalert with the hole in the new faceplate and apply the Sonalert to the back of the faceplate (negative pin beside the battery tray).
- From the front of the faceplate, clear away any excess adhesive from the hole. Allow sufficient time for the adhesive to set.
- Looking at the photo below, resolder the wires to the appropriate pins:
- Solder the shorter black wire to the negative pin on the Sonalert and the other end to the negative pin on the battery tray.
- Solder the black wire from the display assembly to the negative pin on the battery tray. iii) Solder the red wire from the display assembly to the positive pin on the battery tray.
- Solder the green wire from the display assembly to the positive pin on the Sonalert. v) Solder the longer black wire to the negative pin on the Sonalert (opposite end will still have a Molex pin connected).
Back of the TLC Meter Faceplate Showing Soldered Connections
- Insert the yellow wire with the Molex pin back into the Molex connector. The pin is inserted into the middle terminal of the connector.
- Insert the black wire with the Molex pin into the terminal on the pointed side of the Molex connector (the third terminal is left unused).
- Reconnect the Molex connector to the connector on the tape inside the reel hub.
- Tie all the wires together with the new cable tie.
- Replace the battery in the TLC Meter.
- With the Probe in a glass of tap water, turn the TLC Meter ‘ON’. If the buzzer or light do not activate, or the LCD does not show temperature or conductivity, check the soldered and Molex connections.
- Secure the new faceplate to the reel with the three screws.
Conductivity calibration is not required, but is an option. See the TLC Meter Operating Instructions for the calibration procedure.