Point Source Bailer Instructions - 2" Diameter
- Attach enough support cable to th top of the bailer to allow lowering to the maximum depth required. (Use the stainless steel cable or Teflon® coated stainless steel cable). Make sure that the cable connection is secure.
- Slowly lower bailer on the support cable to the desired sampling depth.
- Raise the bailer to the surface using an steady rate of retrieval.
When storing the point source bailer for a long period of time, lubricate all o-rings. However do not lubricate the Bottom Check Valve O-rings prior to use.
- Hold the Point Source Bailer vertical and insert the Sample Retrieval Device into the bottom of the bailer, to displace the Lower Check Ball.
- Direct the outlet of the Sample Retrieval Device into the sample container.
- Push the trigger on Top Check Ball in any direction to allow the sample to drain from the bailer.
Adusting the amount of movement on the Trigger allows sample flow from the bailer to be regulated.
Cleaning the Bailer
- Disassemble bailer, as described overleaf.
- Clean all components with a non-phosphate soap followd by a deionized water rinse.
- Re-assemble bailer, as described overleaf.
Further cleaning of all components except the o-rings can be achieved by using hexane or similar solvent followed by 2 or 3 rinses with deionized water. Strong cleaning solutions may damage the o-rings.
- Holding the bailer upside down, remove Bottom Check Valve by twisting and pulling. If very tight, use vise grips over a cloth to avoid damage.
- Remove the Bottom Check Ball by turning the bailer right side up, allowing the ball to roll out.
- Remove Cable Tie Bar from top of bailer.
- Use a 2' long wooden dowel to push the Top Check Valve out through the top of the bailer.
- Remove o-rings from Top and Bottom Check Valves.
- Replace any damaged o-rings on both Top and Bottom check valves.
- Push Top Check Ball with Trigger into the bailer with the trigger toward the top.
- Use the insertion tool or dowel to push the Top Check Valve into the bailer so that the trigger extends about 1/2" above the top of the bailer body.
- Attach the Cable Tie Bar at top of the bailer.
- Insert the Bottom Check Ball into the bailer.
- Push the Bottom Check Valve firmly onto the bailer, then twist until the Lock Plunger clicks into the Lock Catch.
Do not use bailer until Bottom Check Valve is properly locked in place.